Friday, September 19, 2014

whoops?

Sooooo... I did the thing where I forgot to write for a few days.

I'm SORRY!!!

So let me catch you up - I ran into one of my former dancers/students (yeah, Cooper!) at a jazz club/bar in the West Village.  It was hilarious, magical and awesome.  After a long night of awesome music - came back home to Astoria and slept for what felt like forever.

That leads us to yesterday!

Yesterday was my first "cater waiter" gig - the venue was Lincoln Center's David Koch Theater.  You may recognize it from Center Stage... I sure did!


The event was gorgeous!  The night for me was a little interesting... at first it was nerve-wrecking because I couldn't find where to go to check in.  Once that was over it was just slightly awkward not knowing anyone - being brand new and shiny, with NO service industry experience to show for. 

Folding napkins and menial tasks were the start of the evening, which was easy enough.  Some of these people like to assert themselves into tasks they don't need to just so they look useful, and it in turn makes getting the job done harder.  Luckily, our captains recognized this and put them in their place.  ;)

Then there was the ice bucket debacle... 

We were asked to fill up 500+ water glasses with ice before we were allowed our dinner break.  Some GENIUS decided using the glass to dig into the ice bucket was a good idea.  Whoever that rocket scientist was broke a glass and proceeded to NOT tell anyone it happened.  So we're all digging in with our hands (with gloves on, but still) to fill up these glasses... and someone finds a huge shard of glass in the bucket.  So we had to dump out ALL of the glasses we'd filled... and start again.

Needless to say, we weren't given our dinner break. And we were rushing to get it all completed before dinner service began.

Once service began, I started freaking out again because this was the part I knew NOTHING about.  I started watching people and mimicking their movements, gestures and form.  That helped... but nothing would prepare me for the sheer terror of trying to clear plates quickly without dropping anything.

But I survived!  No dropping forks or what have you... just a little slower than most people, but that's alright.

And some of the kitchen bussers shared a plate of appetizers and the steak they were serving, so that helped me get through the end of the night... where we were FINALLY given food.  (More leftovers from the fancy evening's menu!  YAY!)

All in all, it was a good night.  And to exit Lincoln Center and see that fountain all lit up?  Picturesque.  Glorious.


All in all, I'd say that yesterday was pretty darn good.  No auditions today - I'm thinking of exploring some more of Central Park or something.  Maybe the WTC memorial?  I have another catering gig tomorrow evening... and I may be the driver for it!  (I guess having a driver's license out here is a commodity)

xoxo, Jennifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment