Tuesday, September 9, 2014

moving too fast? or just too loud?

Today, while it wasn't necessarily jam-packed... (Other than my actual flight and getting into my September sublet in NYC) ...it felt like a whirlwind. I mean, I had heard from people that New York would be a culture shock for me...

But DAAAAAAYUM! You guys weren't messing around!!

The thing I noticed the most is that it's LOUD. Not that I mind it...terribly. But I found myself jumping at the honking, the screeching- the harsh, blaring noises all around me. I know I stuck out like a sore thumb - as someone who didn't belong.

But then something wonderful happened... In the midst of me pretending to blend and be a New Yorker - someone asked ME for directions to the correct Subway train. And I actually KNEW the answer. Woohoo!

So I think I can make it. Well, as long as I stop jumping at loud noises. ;)

The thing about this city that I've fallen in love with already is the walking. I LOVE that you're required on a daily basis to just get up and move! It's so refreshing from living in traffic in my Chiquita car.

Today I wandered through a bit of Central Park. And it felt (and looked) like a dream. Gorgeous and lovely. I can already tell it's going to be my safe haven. I can't wait to explore the rest of it when I have more time.

But tomorrow starts the grind!  Headshots printed, an interview and an audition for a singers showcase. My song is picked, it's one I like - "Come Out of the Dumpster" from The Wedding Singer musical.

For a showcase, I've heard it's important to focus more on your storytelling than on your vocal prowess. So while this song isn't super flashy, I'm hoping my acting chops will help me out. Also, the character is very me... So hopefully that will help me out of my comfort zone on this first shot.

The interview is for a restaurant/club that I actually visits with my family (and most of my dance competition team) when I first came to the city. (Yes, Mom. You win... Jekyll & Hyde's still exists!)  It's all about improvisation with the guests. I'm hoping my theme park experience will be a perk in their eyes. It's a "scareactor" job during this Halloween season. It'll be nice to think of my Universal  peeps as we terrify people coast to coast! ;)

So... We seem to be off and running! I feel pretty good about it, even if it's only been one day.

But I will say this: I think my arms are going to bulk up a bit from hoisting myself onto this GIANT'S bed I'm borrowing from Bill this month. (He has it on high risers... It's more than half my size.) I'll post a picture with tomorrow's entry. ;)

For now, goodnight!  I've gotta try to decide what to wear tomorrow, fill out paperwork for Central Casting and get some shut eye for tomorrow's busy day version 2.0!

xoxo, Jennifer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment