Thursday, October 2, 2014

crushed it.

Hey everyone!

So clearly, I'm failing at blogging daily.  But it's been a constant rush of work, interviews, auditions, a cabaret performance (#NAILEDIT!) and moving into my new sublet!

So, here's the update:

I had my first day at Jekyll & Hyde's Chamber of Horrors attraction in Times Square.  It was EPIC zombie prom queen realness:

Oh, I wanna dance with somebody!  #zombie

It was a LOT of hard work (I was sore for DAYS after...I now understand the bruises and aches from HHN scareactors) but I made friends with my coworkers and we had a BLAST scaring the crap out of people.

Then came the audition from HELL.  My friend Cameron and I were literally there from 9AM and didn't get seen to sing until 3:45pm.  Then we both didn't get called back, after ALL that waiting.  (And this group was casting a VERY dance-heavy season...I was PISSED I didn't get the chance to dance)

Holding Room + 6.5 hour wait = DELUSIONAL


After that we both had to RUSH over for tech rehearsals for the showcase we were singing at that night.  We made it - albeit slightly late - and had a rough first run at rehearsal.  This didn't help my mood.  But working through it, we patched the rough spots... and did much better in our second run.

Then when show time arrived, we TOTALLY CRUSHED IT!  It was SUCH a fun experience, and I even had a few friends show up just in the nick of time to watch us sing!  Here's the video from my solo - it's called "Screw Loose" from Cry Baby, the musical:


Feel free to visit my YouTube page to check out my two duets with Cameron! 

The next morning, I went in to interview for Mastro's Steakhouse - they're opening their first East Coast location this November - and I applied for Hostess.... only to be hired on the spot and stay for training!

SO PSYCHED!!  And although I'm nervous, I feel like this is my first step to really being able to stay out here.  It'll be enough to at least get me on my feet - and with the added income from the Jekyll & Hyde job, I should be able to make some good cash over this month.  I'm hoping it'll be enough for me to stay here in NYC, and be financially independent.

So now the hunt begins for a more permanent location.  Or another sublet.

AND THEN... (you didn't think I was done, did you??)  I got a phone call this morning asking me to join ANOTHER Cabaret later this October!!  WOO!!  That's right, yours truly will be performing with the Cranky Cabaret in Midtown on October 25th & 26th.  This performance should be a BLAST - I hope my New Yorker friends can come out and support.  It'll be $20 TOTAL at the door.... and get this, IT'S AN OPEN BAR.  

Yes, you read that right.  OPEN BAR.  So get excited, people.  If you want tickets, lemme know.  Underage friends are allowed as well!  You just don't get to drink... and it's still just $20 at the door.  :)

So that's what's going on with me... I hope you all are having a FABULOUS week!  Cali friends, I hope you survive that heat wave!  It's 68 and cloudy here.  ;)

xoxo, Jennifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment